February 12th -
Local Miner's diary records that -"North Side of South Skelton Pit finished because of coal strike."

February 15th -
The Archbishop of York dedicated the War memorials in All Saints church. The west window was the gift of Col Wharton of Skelton Castle and a Memorial tablet recorded the names of those Skelton men who had given their lives in the horror of the trenches.

April 4th -
"South Side of Skelton Pit finished because of coal strike."

April 7th -
"A. Gray manager of Skelton Mines finished. R.W. Anderson took over managership of South Skelton Mines."
Hemingway's Bus - Maudslay 26 seater, Charabanc.
First registered in Wakefield about 1915; Brought to Skelton 1923.
Sold to United 1925 but never operated by them.
Picture taken in front of Stanghow Lane School, New Skelton.
Skelton Church club going to Whitby Regatta.
Popular trip - 30 travelling on 26 seater.

April 7th -
The first bus service through Skelton was started, running from Middlesbrough to Loftus.
Soon railway usage was greatly reduced.
At first there were different local bus companies vying with each other for custom and racing to be the first to the next stop.
The first buses in Skelton belonged to Walter Hemingway.
He recorded a change of address from North Lea, Lofthouse Gate, Wakefield to 75 High St, Skelton on the 12 December 1923.
But he appears to have had buses operating here even earlier.
He had at least 7 vehicles, including the Lancia and Maudslay models shown in the photographs here. He had a garage on the site of the present fire station, where the conductress stands in the photograph here.
On the 21st of November 1925, he sold his business to the United Bus Company, who eventually had a virtual monopoly.
Drivers had to 'get out and get under' to keep the early models on the road, even though collar and tie was compulsory uniform for employees.
Solid tyres, hand crank start and driver operated windscreen wipers in the land of hills and bad winters made for an interesting trip.
[Page 4 of Contributed EMails has more information on first buses.]

Hemingway's Yellow Bus, [Lancia model] High St, Skelton.
And Conductress at entrance to bus garage, Skelton High St.

May 11th. -
The undraping of the Union Jack was performed by an Army Chaplain, the Reverend Hubbard, DSO MC.
He had been the Vicar of North Skelton from 1911 to 1914 [see page for 1911].
As Chaplain to the 3rd Battalion of the Coldstream Guards during the War he was awarded the DSO and the Military Cross.
At this time he was the Rector of Guisborough.
The Roll of Honour, listing the men of North Skelton who had died in the War, was read by the Rev A M Bury, He was the Church of England Curate for North Skelton.
The Lesson was read by the Rev Ramsay, who was the Primitive Methodist Minister for North Skelton.
The main service was led by the Church of England Curate for Skelton, Rev R W Wheatley BA.
"The male voice choir sang splendidly and the Band played at their best".

15th May -
Formation of the Royal British Legion under the Presidency of Field Marshal Earl Haig.
Over six million men had served in the war. Of those who came back, 1.75 million had suffered some kind of disability and half of these were permanently disabled.
Then there were those who depended on those who had gone to war, the wives and children, widows, and orphans, as well as the parents who had lost sons in the war, on whom they were often financially dependent.
The Legion was established to care for those who had suffered as a result of service during the First World War and have been helping the Armed Forces community and their families ever since.

Parade of ex-Servicemen and local organisations in Vaughan St.
The man holding the wreath, second from the Right, in the Regalia of the RAOB, is Herbert Willie Riddiough of Skelton and later Brotton.

The photographs have been preserved by his daughter, Doris Glover, and kindly contributed by his Great Great Granddaughter, Julie Riddiough.

19th June -
At the national census for this year Skelton, including Lingdale, Boosbeck and N Skelton had 1822 inhabited houses.
699 in Skelton and 361 in North Skelton.
The population was 8,925, with 4518 males and 4407 females. Old Skelton 3202 and North Skelton1895. The total had decreased by 24 since 1911.

Sgt "Tunny Norris".

July 28th -
Cleveland Standard:-
Whilst playing with other children amongst pit timber belonging to Messrs. Bolckow, Vaughan and Co., at South Skelton mine, Lucy Norris, a little girl aged eight and a half was fatally injured by a large bank falling upon her. She died five minutes after the accident.
At an inquest on Saturday, 30th a verdict of accidental death was returned.
She was buried St Adains Church on Monday 1 August 1921.

Lucy's father, Frederick Parker Norris, known as "Tunny", shown here in the uniform of the Yorkshire Regiment, left the area shortly after this tragic incident to work in the coal mines of South Yorkshire.

Walter Turnidge, who lived in Skelton committed suicide by drowning in the pond that drained Lingdale Ironstone Mine at Claphow Wood. He was said to be depressed at losing his job. He is buried in New Skelton Cemetery.

Retired, capable, good cook, desires post where maid kept; references, High .Street. Skelton-in-Cleveland.

November 11th -
SKELTON WAR MEMORIAL UNVEILED. On the 3rd anniversary of Armistice Day the War Memorial at Skelton Cross Green was unveiled.
The unveiling was performed by Lt Col Maurice Bell.
He had been the Commanding Officer of the local 1/4th Battalion when they first went to France and then to Ypres in April 1915.
The Battalion War Diary for 3rd January 1916 records - "Lt Col M H L Bell informed the officers of the Bn that he had been found medically unifit and had to go to Hospital".
[These photographs have been kindly donated by Alan Ward, Skelton-born and now living in Saltburn, N Yorks.]

3rd Dec.
London Gazette.
Bulmer, John Henry, residing at 1, Back-lane, Skelton-in-Cleveland, and carrying on business at White House, Green Bank. Skelton-in-Cleveland. Joiner. Court Stockton on Tees. No. of Matter 29 of 1921. Date of First Meeting Dec. 16, 1921. 2 30 p m. Place Official Receiver's Offices, 80, High-street, Stockton-on-Tees. Date of Public Examination Jan. 11, 1922. 11 a.m. Place Court House, Bridge-road, Stockton-on-Tees.

Next Page - 1922 TO 1923.
Previous Page - 1919 TO 1920.
Contents Page.