Skelton-in-Cleveland is a village in the North East of England, situated at the foot of the Cleveland Hills and about 16 kilometres east of Middlesbrough.
Any facts, photos or suggestions for additions; as well as corrections and improvements are welcomed.
Reciprocal links to websites with a reasonably similar content will be gladly added.
If anyone has copyright to any text or image and objects to its use here, please e-mail the address below and it will be immediately removed.
Items can be freely copied for private and NON-COMMERCIAL use.
Many of the facts and images have been sent from places all over the UK and even abroad by the kind people listed below, so that this website has become more like a community project, rather than the personal property of any one individual.
IN ANY PUBLIC COPY,
PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR CONTRIBUTION
AND THIS WEBSITE.
This website has been selected for preservation by the British Library UK Web Archive. The content is recorded at regular intervals.
Previous versions can be found
C O N T A C T.
|History of Cleveland.|
History and Antiquities of Cleveland.
The Victoria History of Cleveland.
History of Cleveland.
Forty years in a moorland parish.
History of Cleveland ancient and modern.
Directory of Yorkshire 1823.
An Early History of the N Riding.
Skelton West End Methodist Chapel Centenary.
A Short History of Skelton and its churches.
Lost Borough of Cleveland.
Cleveland Ironstone Mines.
Hope to Prosper.
Cleveland Ironstone Mines Old Pictures. Vol 2.
Skelton and its History.
A History of Yarm.
Guisborough to 1900.
Teesside and Old Cleveland – photos.
Skelton Green in old photos.
Langbaurgh in Times Past.
Directory of Cleveland Ironstone Miners
and Their Associates. Vols 1 to 4.
Cleveland Ironstone Mining.
Cleveland Iron Stone Mines and Iron Industry.
History of Marske by the Sea.
Cleveland Village Book.
Railways of Teesside.
The History of Saltburn.
Saltburn by the Sea a Pictorial History.
Ancient Cleveland from the Air.
Essays in North Riding History 1780-1850.
Life and Letters of Laurence Sterne.
J Walker Ord.
Rev J C Atkinson.
Rev J C Atkinson.
Rev J C Atkinson.
Rev W Wheatley.
Teesside Local History Scy Bull .
S K Chapman.
S K Chapman.
S K Chapman.
J W Wardell.
Local History Group.
J S Owen..
C S Wilson.
D Burluraux and N Templeman.
R P Hastings.
Malcolm Chase & Mark Whyman.
Many thanks to the following people who have provided new facts, pictures and encouragement.
- Kev Duncan [Durham Mining Museum Website].
- Shirley John.
- Rev Graham Pacey, Vicar of Skelton.
- OWEN ROOKS, native of Skelton, for Sherlock Holmes’ family research, contributions, encouragement and much else.
- Frank Holmes, Ironstone, deputy.
- Philip Battersby. Middlesbrough.
- John Hoopes, Lawrence, Kansas, USA.
- A H Butler.
- Sheila Bocking, Woodbridge, Essex
- L Harvey Kirk III of Chester, Virginia, USA.
- Alison Preston, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Heather Ryan, Lincolnshire.
- Brent Whittam of ww1cemeteries.com.
- Peter Dockerty of Waggonways.
- Peter Wright of Rotherham.
- Michael Bennison of Ayrshire. Born Staithes, N Yorks.
- Elaine Sayer.
- Julie Felgate of Skelton.
- Julie Riddiough of Brotton.
- Maria Siddaway of Middlesbrough.
- Michael Gilday of Coventry.
- Margaret Long of Maryland, USA.
- Tony & Margaret Rudge of Swalcliffe, Oxfordshire.
- Joan Outhwaite of Normanby, Cleveland.
- Katie Clarkson of the USA.
- Stephen Jackson of Darlington.
- Dorothy Harris of Saltburn by Sea, N Yorks.
- Graham Smallburn of Birmingham.
- David Eric Sterry of Runcorn, Cheshire.
- Josie Bland of Skelton. Retired Lecturer in Art History and Theory. University of Teesside.
- Frank Sharp of Melrose, Scottish Borders.
- Chris Holmes of Surrey.
- John Richardson of Wolfenbuttel, Germany.
- Catherine Hill of Riverton, New Zealand.
- Christine Newson of Great Ayton, N Yorks.
- Kevin Ward of Skelton in Cleveland.
- Kevin Harvey of Brotton, N Yorks.
- Mark Spybey of North Northumberland.
- Barry Richardson of Skelton in Cleveland.
- Peter Appleton of Skelton.
- Keith Bateman, Redcar.
- Mike Gladders.
- John Knaggs.
- Alison Small [Lingdale History Website].
- Hilary Myatt.
- John Dobson of N Walsham, Norfolk.
- Eugenie Noonan.
- Eric S Barker, Stoke on Trent.
- Barbara Shaw.
- Simon A Chapman. Local expert and author on the Ironstone Mines.
- Andrew Berwick.
- Billy McGee of Stockton on Tees.
- Lindsay Henry of Sheffield.
- Alan Ward of Saltburn by Sea, N Yorks.
- Derek Jackson of Lancaster.
- Dave Harris of Clacton-on-Sea, Essex.
- Dr Tony Nicholson, Lecturer in History, Teesside University.
- Terry Bannister of Burnley, Lancs.
- Roy Hogben of Ithaca, NY, USA.
- Julie Mountain of Gloucester.
- Stephen Griffiths of Brentwood, Essex.
- Sandra Game of Suffolk.
- Dr. Brian J Hudson of Brisbane, Australia.
- Sue Mackechnie of Glasgow.
- Helen Read of Leamington Spa, Warwickshire.
- Chris Twigg of the “Hidden Teesside” website.
- James Wilks of Skelton in Cleveland.
- Steve Rigby, of Crossen, Southport, Lancs.
- Linda Rowley of Redcar, N Yorks.
- Brenda Harding of Skelton in Cleveland.
- Michele Phillips of Perth, Western Australia.
- Jeanne Renshaw of Winchester, Hants.
- Amy Gordon of Cambridge.
- Howard Wilson of Skelton in Cleveland History Group.
- Susan and David Holt of Little Melton, Norwich
- John J Richardson of Derby.
The Tom Leonard Mining Museum – Skinningrove, Cleveland.
The Durham Mining Museum. History of the ironstone, coal mines in the North East of England.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Search the names of those who died in both world wars.
1/4th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War.
Search the “London Gazette”.
Explore old roads, railways, mines etc of the Skelton area.
East Cleveland Image Archive.
The Key – North Skelton Magazine.
Compare the purchasing power of money 1264 to 2005.
Skelton History Group.
Skelton Townscape Heritage Project.
Skelton in Cleveland Weather Station.
Our Industrial Heartland. Skelton to Guisborough.
Alison Small’s History of Lingdale.