1932 - The whipping of children under 14 is banned.
11 Jan 1932.
SKELTON MEMORIAL A memorial window to Major E. Hamilton has been placed in the Parish Church Skelton-in-Cleveland. It was unveiled at morning
service yesterday by Colonel W. H. A. Wharton, Skelton Castle.
The Cleveland Quarrymen and Miners Association was incorporated into the General and Municipal Workers Union.
1933 - Taking advantage of the fear of Communism and the economic depression Adolph Hitler came to power and was appointed
Chancellor of Germany.
Germany left the League of Nations.
3rd January - Passenger train services ceased to North Skelton [Hollybush] Station.
In the Skelton area the proportion of the workforce the proportion of the workforce registered as unemployed under the National Insurance scheme reached 91 percent.
13th April - North Eastern Daily Gazette.
Heartbreak Hill - TRANSFORMATION. [see entry for the year 1931]
A year ago bare moorland giving perhaps a few days eatage to an occasional sheep, now some ten acres of productive market garden, sixty frames, six chicken houses, goat houses, pig sties, twenty beehives [all home made] and last but certainly not least, between sixty and seventy men hare at work.
Clearing the land has been a really tough job. It was all very rough and full of rocks, tree stumps, rushes, broom, bracken, heather and all kinds of troubles and it needed draining too.
[Visiting students, both English and German had helped in the clearance. A local story has it that among them was William Joyce, the infamous Lord Haw Haw, who broadcast scornful messages for Nazi Germany during the Second World War and was hanged for his treason.]
Nothing has been wasted the rocks have been spiit up and made into goat houses and roads and the bracken used for thatch.
There has been no immediate cash reward for this, but fortunately in each of the three branches of the Unemployed Cleveland Miners Association there have been men who resolved to see through the difficult time when membership was
all work and very little for it.
On the 16th February HRH Prince George, who was later killed in a flying accident during the War, visited Heartbreak Hill.
Major Perryman the instigator of the scheme obtained a 21 year lease from Skelton Castle Estate for the three sites of production, Heartbreak Hill, Dartmoor and Busky Fields, but in the last years of the decade re-armament brought
a new need for iron and steel and the men returned to work in the Mines.
LAST COUPLE TO BE MARRIED AT THE SKELTON OLD ALL SAINTS CHURCH.
25th December - The Golden Wedding of the last couple to be married in Skelton Old Church [reportedly].
Richard and Emma Thorpe [nee Leeks].
Their son Richard Matthew Thorpe had been killed in the First War on the 18th June 1918, aged 20.
Ten years later they were to die within hours of each other, Richard aged 82 and Emma 78. They had a "double funeral".
[Information and newspaper cutting kindly contributed by their Great Grand-daughter, Dorothy Harris of Saltburn by Sea, N Yorks.]
PARK PIT - GOLD WATCH AWARD.
Robert Flower, at this time was a single man, aged 22 and a Miner at Park Pit.
At the National Register made in 1939 Robert was still single and living at 1 Harker Street, Skelton Green with his Dad, William Edward, aged 51, born in Skelton, and his mother Magaret E, aged 49, born in Lazenby, N Yorks.
Two younger children were still living with them, Thomas, 17, a "Farm Labourer, Pig Breeder and Poulterer at Home" and Winsome May, 14, Unpaid Domestic Duties.
His older sister Gertrude and brother James had left home.
As had his brother William "Tiger" Flower, who was to die, age 27, in Egypt in 1940, while serving with the Royal Engineers.
He is buried at El Alamein.
See the page for this year
and his Memorial page here.
You would guess that the watch was an award for some special deed. Perhaps local newspapers will tell us more when they become available.
Fattorini & Sons, were a National firm of precious metal workers, who interestingly made the FA Cup that was used from 1911 to 1992.
Skelton 1st Wolf Cubs in 1933.
Those identified are Charles Holmes, centre row fourth from the Left.
The lady standing on the Right in the back is Ethel Pigg, Herbert's sister, who was the Akela for a number of years.
Standing on her Right is Alan Richardson, and third from the Right in the Middle Row is his younger brother, Denis.
These two were the sons of Herbert's sister, Dorothy Ellen.
[Photograph kindly contributed by Charles' son, Chris of Carshalton Surrey.]
|1934 - The Church organ in Skelton All Saints was
rebuilt at a cost of £385 to commemorate the Jubilee of George V.
2nd May - APARTMENTS TO LET. Terms moderate; near sea and moor. Aply Watson. Gashouse, Clsphow, Skelton. Cleveland. Tel.- Skelton 10.
4th September - WANTED HOUSEKEEPER.
Under a good cook; bachelor's house, housemaid kept. Apply to Rector, Skelton-ln-Cleveland.
1935 - Ramsay Macdonald resigned and Stanley Baldwin
headed the National Coalition with a strong Conservative
6th May. JUBILEE OF GEORGE V.
Street parties and celebrations were held all over Britain.
In Skelton locals performed a Pageant celebrating British History in the grounds of the Castle.
Pageant at Skelton Castle 1935 to celebrate George V Jubilee.
September - Prime minister, Baldwin, published a circular
entitled Air Raid Precautions.
The Government clearly sensed a threat ahead, but at this stage local authorities were only asked to consider plans to protect their people in event of a war.
14th November - GENERAL ELECTION.
The National Government, now led by the Conservative, Stanley Baldwin, won with a large, but reduced, majority.
Conservative - 386. Clement Attlee's Labour - 154.
The Liberals, who were now led by ex-Cleveland MP, Herbert Samuel continued their decline with just 21 seats held.
In Cleveland the Conservative, Robert Tatton-Bower retained his seat and as this was the last election until after the Second World War he remained the MP for Cleveland until Clement Atlee's Labour Government took over in 1945.
Skelton Cross Green about this time.
This photograph of Skelton High Street, taken from the top of the steps on the Hills, seems to have been taken in the 1920s/30s.
The large gable-end at the Left is the back of Skelton Literary Institute. The Halfpenny Bridge can be seen in the distance.
The Shop with the Sun shade and adverts has always been a Newsagents to my knowledge. The name on the end wall appears to be "B Robson".
If anyone has more information, please email the address on the Introduction Page.