Skelton All Saints, with iron railings that were removed during the Second World War for armaments and, it is said, much of the metal never used.
St John Ambulance accident at Skelton Ellers.
BBC began broadcasting as a private company.
LADY CHAPEL was added to Skelton church.
Feb 4th - OLD CUD TAYLOR, aged 84, of Skelton Green was buried."
14th August. LOCAL NEWSPAPER ADVERT.
Sale, Brougham, single rubber tyre, good condition — Apply Mr Thomas Varty, Park House, Park Pit, Skelton-in-Cleveland.
Nov 15th - GENERAL ELECTION - TORIES WIN - LABOUR BEATS LIBERALS FOR FIRST TIME.
Bonar-Law's Conservatives won with 344 seats.
Labour with 142 for the first time had more than the Liberals.
This Party were split between Lloyd-George's National Liberals with 53 and Asquith's Liberals with 62.
It was the first election held after the Irish Counties left the United Kingdom to form the Irish Free State.
Stephen, the last Emmerson to run Hollybush Farm, Skelton with his wife, Edie and son, Stephen Charles.
In Cleveland the seat was held by Sir Park Goff with 13,369.
But here it was now more of a 3 way fight, as he was closely followed by-
Sir Charles Starmer, Liberal, 11,648.
Harry Dack, Labour, 10,483.
THE LAST EMMERSONS AT HOLLYBUSH FARM, SKELTON.
The farm has been called by various names over the years, Holling, Hollingtree, Faughfield House.
Stephen Emmerson, whose family photograph is shown here emigrated to New Zealand in 1920. He was the last of a long line of Emmersons who ran Hollybush farm. Their names appear many times in the pages of this website.
Josie Bland of Robinson Street, Skelton, who is the Great Grand-daughter of the John Emmerson in the family story that follows, has spent a long time researching the family connections and has kindly contributed the photograph and the following information about them.
She obtained the photograph from Shirley Wunibald [nee Skipper], the daughter of Rhoda Skipper, whose photograph is also shown here.
William Emmerson 1692 to 1746 and his wife Jane, 1698 to 1766, ran the Farm. They are both buried in Old All Saints Churchyard, Skelton.
They had four daughters and two sons. The eldest son was Stephen Emmerson 1734- 1833.
He lies in the same grave as his parents.
He married twice - his first wife died childless, so at 59 he married a twenty two year old, Alice Amos, and fathered four girls and finally two boys, Stephen and William.
Stephen, the eldest, 1806 - 1887, inherited Hollybush farm. He became known in Skelton as the "Miners' Friend", as he allowed the local Ironstone workers to use his fields for their meetings demonstrations and generally took their side in labour disputes with the Mine Owners.
The younger son, William Emmerson, emigrated to Indiana in the United States.
Much more about him can be read on pages 35 and 36 of the Emails section, including images of his school sum book and his gravestone in the States.
Stephen, the Miners' Friend, never married and ran Hollybush Farm with his sister Hannah, who also remained single.
At this point the family story becomes rather complicated.
Charles Skipper, 1872 to 1944.
George Skipper, 1872 to 1944.
Living with them at Hollybush Farm was their nephew, John Emmerson, who was the illegitimate son of their sister, Alice.
Alice gave birth to John in 1827 and later married William Young, who ran Hagg Farm. An extract from the 1841 census showing the entries for them is on page 36 of the Emails section.
John Emmerson would have inherited the farm after his Uncle Stephen's death, but he pre-deceased him, so the farm passed to John's son, Stephen William.
John married twice. In his first marriage he lived in Skelton and had two daughters and two sons - one of the sons was thisheir, Stephen William.
Johns first wife died and three of his children, including Stephen Willliam, were sent to live on Hollybush Farm.
John remarried, and farmed at Ingleby Barwick. He sired four more children and died in 1884.
His uncle Stephen outlived him by three years. After Stephen the Miners' Friend died, his sister Hannah Emmerson ran the farm for ten years. She died in 1897.
Stephen William, John Emmerson's son from his first marriage, had married in the meantime and was living on Hagg Farm.
Stephen William's wife also died in 1897 leaving him a widower with four children.
He died in 1904, and his eldest son, yet another Stephen and just a boy, inherited the farm around 1913.
While he was growing up his cousin, Annie Young and her husband Thompson Gilderoy ran the farm.
Stephen remained at Hollybush until 1920, when he emigrated to New Zealand.
[Hollybush Farm was sold for £3,000 to William Harrison Hicks of Wheatlands Farm, Redcar, N Yorks. He died two years later and it passed to his brother, Martin Hicks.
On his death in 1942, it was left to a widow, that he was living with, Gladys Wilkinson of 4 Church Lane, Marske.
She sold it in 1954 to Joseph Bell of Horse Close Farm, Marske for £4,250.
In 1960 he sold it to W Kelly and Sons Ltd presumably for building the housing estates that now cover the land.]
Stephen Emmerson married Edie Todd in Skelton.
Edie was the music teacher at Warsett. Apparently Charles didn't approve of Stephen and didn't want Edie to marry him.
When the newlyweds set off for New Zealand, they left by train from Saltburn. At the last minute Charlie decided to make the peace, as he didn't know when he would
see Edie again. He took a taxi down to Saltburn, but was too late - as he entered the station the train was pulling out.
Edie's Father, Henry Todd, died of a heart attack on Newcastle Railway Station in 1895, the same year the Edie was born.
Her Mother, Hannah was re-married to Charles Henry Skipper [1872 to 1944], who was the tenant of the Duke William Inn, Skelton.
Shortly after they moved to the Wharton Arms and the family ran it for the next 52 years.
Edie's half brother, George Skipper, took over the Wharton Arms after his father.
George was married to Rhoda Skipper [1905 to 1991], whose photograph is shown here.
Their daughter Shirley Wunibald kindly contributed the photographs of Stephen Emmerson's family and those above of her Mother, Father and Grandfather.
Stephen Emmerson and Edie had one child in New Zealand, yet another Stephen.
Edie died in 1945.
North Skelton Ironstone Mine.
Wooden headgear above was replaced with steel below.
NORTH RIDING COUNCIL.
John Thomas Allison was elected for Skelton South as North Riding of Yorks councillor. He served until 1925.
William Mansfield was elected for Skelton North and served until 1938.
SKELTON POLICE STATION was purchased by North Riding Constabulary from Skelton Castle Estate.
Dec 13th - "FIRST BATCH OF MEN WORK IN TWO YEARS. They went into South Skelton Mines after nearly two years stoppage."
"A HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF YORK, NORTH RIDING: Volume 2" was originally published by Victoria County History, London.
It describes the village of Skelton as it was in this period, with a great many documented details of its past.
SHORT SKIRTS - Fashion for Females changed to short skirts and bobbed hair, to the dismay of many with older values.
First FOOTBALL POOLS instituted, which became a weekly event for many.
DORMAN LONG & CO took over Skelton Park, Skelton Shaft and South Skelton mines.
Skelton Shaft was then abandoned.
The old local joke became -"I worked for Dorman's but not for Long."
April 16th - "NORTH SKELTON MINE started work again."
May 8th - ADDISON TATE, painter of Skelton, died suddenly in High St.
Sept 19th - "SAMUEL PORTER PARKER was killed at South Skelton Mines."
Dec 6th - GENERAL ELECTION - HUNG PARLIAMENT.
Stanley Baldwin became Conservative Prime Minister, replacing Bonar Law who was diagnosed with cancer.
He made the mistake of going to the Country for a mandate and although the Conservatives gained the most seats with 258,
the election produced a hung Parliament, with Ramsay MacDonald's Labour on 191 and Asquith's United Liberals on 158.
CLEVELAND, LIBERAL WON - In Cleveland the Conservative, Sir Park Goff, [11,855] lost his seat to the Liberal, Sir Charles Starmer [13,326], with
R Dennison, Labour, [9,683] in third place.
Labour formed a minority Government, which lasted only 10 months.
Dec 7th - "SOUTH SKELTON MINES stopped to put new headgear up."
Back of photograph shows - "Mr Ridsdale, builder and employees"
Very likely John Ridsdale, who had a business at 49 High Street, Skelton. There are many references in this website to the Ridsdales, as stone-masons and builders in Skelton dating from the early 1800s right up to the 1950s
[This Photograph and Parish Magazine kindly contributed by Chris Holmes of Carshalton, Surrey.]
LEAGUE AGAINST CRUEL SPORTS formed.
Jan 21st - "SOUTH SKELTON MINES started working again after headgear put up."
Feb 1st - NO WORK - MINERS NOTICES - "Over 100 got their notices at South Skelton Mines and all men at North Skelton Mines."
Feb 14th. BANKRUPT.
BOUSTED, Frank, residing and carrying on business at 105, High-street, Skelton-in-Cleveland, in the county of York.
Grocer. Court Stockton on Tees. No. of Matter—33 of 1922. Trustee's Name, Address and Description
Townsend, Charles Lucas, Official Receiver, 80, High-street, Stockton-on-Tees...
SALTBURN PIER WRECKED - Locals were shocked to hear that on the 7th May 1924 the Schooner "Ovenbeg" was driven onto the beach at Saltburn and by the 8th it had wrecked itself by smashing through the Pier.
Mary Ann Rooks. 1851-1930. Outside her home at 8 Thomas St, New Skelton in the 1920's. Victorian dress still the mode for older
ladies and note her strong, knarled, arthritic hands from a lifetime of hard work.
[Kindly contributed by her Grandson, Owen Rooks.]
March 28th - MINE MANAGER - H Palmer, of North Skelton took over managership of South Skelton Mines.
May 4th - SKELTON GREEN SUICIDE - Mrs Readman of 55, Boosbeck Road Skelton, cut her throat.
8th July. BANKRUPT.
COX, Randolph, residing at 47, Wharton-street, North Skelton, and carrying on business as a General Dealer at that address, and also as a Hairdresser, at 10, Queen-street, Redcar, both in the county of York.
Court at Stockton on Tees. No. of Matter—26 of 1923. Amount per £—10d. First or Final, or otherwise—First and Final. When Payable—July 8,
1924. Where Payable—80, High-street, Stockton-on-Tees.
Oct 4th - PARK PIT NOTICES - "A number of men finished work at Park Pit Skelton."
HARRY DACK COUNCILLOR - was elected to North Riding of Yorkshire County Council and served until 1954 for Skelton North.
29th October - GENERAL ELECTION.
This was the third general election to be held in less than 2 years. Stanley Baldwin's Conservatives with 412 seats gained a large majority
over Ramsay MacDonald's Labour with 151 and Asquith's Liberals with just 40.
It was thought the fear of Socialism caused Labour's loss of 40 seats and persuaded many Liberal voters to defect to the Conservatives.
In Cleveland the Conservative, Sir Park Goff regained his seat from the Liberal, Sir Charles Walter Starmer. who now came third behind Labour.
January 24th - RAILWAY ACCIDENT - "Wm. Simpson of Hobdale, got knocked down by an engine on the line at Priestcrofts under the bridge."
Feb 28th - TO THE WORKHOUSE - Geo. Smith of Trout Hall Lane was taken to the Guisborough Union Workhouse.
March 4th - MINE INJURY -
Walter Simons was injured at South Skelton Mines.
24th June. BANKRUPTS.
No. 2,468. BALLS, Charles Oswald, residing at 121, High-street, Skelton, in the county of York, and
1920's Poss Tub.
Latest Single Tub Washing Machine, as used by Elizabeth Harrison at 16
Trout Hall Lane, Skelton Green about this time.
Ethel Danby [nee Cook],
Back Lane, Skelton home made style.
1920's Ironstone Miner.
Andrew Ward in Skelton
GEORGESON, William, residing at 51, Boosbeck-road, Skelton aforesaid, and carrying on business together under
the firm or style of "Georgeson and Balls" at The East Cleveland Bakery, in Boosbeck-road, Skelton aforesaid. Bakers and Confectioners.
Court— Stockton on Tees. Date of Filing Petition — June 24. 1925. Whether Debtor's or Creditor's Petition - Debtor's.
November. GENERAL ELECTION - Conservatives re-elected under Baldwin.
PENSIONS ACT [ W Churchill] starts contributory pension scheme.
TELEVISION STARTS - John Logie Baird televises an image of the human face.
CHARLESTON - CHARLESTON dance craze took Britain by storm.
NORTH SKELTON MINE SHUT DOWN - HARDSHIP - from May until end of 1926.
The general world depression had caused the demand for iron and steel to fall away and work was hard to get.
It is said miners for some time living within earshot of the pit listened out for a hooter.
If it was sounded once they could go to work and if twice stop at home.
Squire Wharton of Skelton Castle marked certain trees on his estate for felling, which the local people could use as fire wood.
HAROLD PATTON - FIRST PETROL PUMP IN SKELTON - was opened in Holmbeck Rd, N Skelton by Mr Harold Patton, who, as seen by the gramophone needle tin and record shown here, was the new business spotter of the day with
also a shop for cycles and the hand cranked, home entertainment with a shop at 74 High St.
THOMAS COATSWORTH COUNCILLOR, was elected to the North Riding of Yorkshire County Council for Skelton South and served until 1928.
December - DEATH OF JACK APPLETON. A muffled peal remembered a devoted bell-ringer of over 20 years service at Skelton and Saltburn.
May. GENERAL STRIKE. which lasted for nine days.
This had originated in a miners protest about cuts in pay and escalated when the TUC supported them.
Miners did not gain anything and the Union movement was left with a bad public reputation.
DEATH AT SKELTON CASTLE. Elizabeth Sophia Mytton Wharton [nee Harrison and born 12 Nov 1854 at Forden, Montgomery, Wales], at the age of 71.
She was the second wife of W H A Wharton of Skelton Castle and buried in the Castle grounds behind the Old Church.
The first medal shown below was awarded to Richard Wright of 21 Charlotte Street, New Skelton. He was born about 1891 in Lingdale
and lived there at 22 High St before moving to Skelton.
Many of his descendants still live in the area. The Wharton Shield seems to have been awarded to First Aid Teams on the Railways.
[Photograph kindly donated by his Great Granddaughter Louise Wright of Guisborough, N Yorks.]
The second Silver Medal was won by players of Skelton Church Football Club in season 1926/27.
[Photograph kindly donated by Alan Ward, son of F Ward.]
The image and following information has been kindly contributed by Howard Wilson, Skelton History Society.
Photograph of one of the Old All Saints Church bells in storage at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
The other one is on display in Skelton Parish Church in the High Street.
The following is an extract from the Victoria and Albert Museum “Review of the Principal Acquisitions during the year 1925”.
An English church bell of the 13th C. of any size is a rare object, and the opportunity of acquiring one at the melting down price (scrap value) was gladly seized.
The bell, one of two mediaeval bells formerly at the old Church in Skelton-in-Cleveland, Yorkshire, is of extreme interest as an example of early bell-founding in this country, its date being put by the expert authority, Mr H. B. Walters,
at about 1230-50.
In perfect condition, it is quite plain and in shape considerably slenderer than bells of a more familiar type.
Its height is 4 feet 3½ inches.