Skelton Infants School, 1910.
Only child identified is Hope Gott, second from the Left on second row from back.
[Photo kindly contributed by Hope's Grand Daughter, Barbara Dobby of Carlton Miniott, nr Thirsk, N Yorks. She also attended the School in 1959.]

This group, The Rectory Club, which holds it meetings in the Rectory Room, closed the annual accounts in more prosperous fashion than has been its fortune for some years.
The call on the Sick Fund, especially during the latter months has been only about a third of normal requirements and the same may be said of the Death Fund.
This enable the Club, after all expenses, to return to Members a dividend of 10 shillings each and to carry forward to the Sick Fund 2 18s 10d, leaving the Death Fund at 29 - 11s - 9 1/2d and the Reserve Fund at 31 16s 7d.

7th January - HIGH ST DESERTER.
John Sutherland Scott was charged with being a deserter from the 18th Hussars.
The previous night, he walked up to Police Constable Edmondson, who was on duty in the High St and gave himself up. He was remanded to await an escort.

January - Parish Magazine -
Mrs Herring desires to thank all parents, friends and teachers for the beautiful gold pendant and chain, also half a dozen dessert spoons she has been presented with, on the occasion of her leaving the Skelton Infant School to undertake the charge of the school at North Skelton.
Voting took place from now until 20th February and produced a hung Parliament. Arthur Balfour's Conservatives with their Liberal Unionist allies had most votes, but Herbert Asquith's Liberals had a majority of 2 seats.
Asquith formed a Government with the support of the Irish Party.
The Labour increased their seats from 29 to 40.
The local MP for Cleveland, Herbert Samuel, Liberal, retained his seat.

Girl Guides movement started by Lord Baden Powell.

Placed in the High St.

The Annual Concert in aid of the Skelton Brigade Camp Fund was held in the Institute. The Camp this year will be held at Bridlington in June.

Alexander Richardson, a horse driver at South Skelton Mines was charged with cruelty to a horse on the 4th.
Mr John Thompson, Manager for the owners Bolckow and Vaughan prosecuted and said that Richardson yoked his horse to a couple of tubs to "back" them into a siding.
As the horse did not readily respond to "back", defendant got hold of its tongue in a fit of passion. He bagan twisting its tongue and to such an extent that it was horribly torn.
Mr James Forrest, a veterinary surgeon, stated that he found a lacerated wound under the tongue about 6 inches from the tip. It was half an inch deep and two inches long. The horse would not be able to work again for 10 days.
Mr Thompson said it was a shocking case and asked for a severe penalty to deter others.
Sir Alfred Pease said it was a question of whether they should commit him to prison, but nothing was previously known against his character so he would be fined 2 and costs or a months prison in default.

1st April - AN APRIL FOOL.
Allan Dunning, a youth engaged in Messrs Bell Brothers, Skelton Park Pit was charged by Mr Thomas Varty, manager, with throwing missiles.
Dunning had thrown a stone which caught another youth names John Thomas Searle under the Left eye and inflicted a serious injury that could easily have blinded him.
Dunning said there was no ill feeling between them and he had thrown the stone for a lark and Searle was not in sight when it left his hand.
The justices imposed a fine of 10 shillings.

William Bowers, a miner of North Skelton was charged with stealing a spade, worth 3 shillings, the property of W H Ringrose.
Ringrose said he missed the spade in October of last year and on Good Friday he saw it in Bower's possession in an allotment garden at North Skelton. He identified it by drill marks, which he had made on it.
Bowers said that he had bought it at Guisborough and when he refused to give it up, Ringrose informed the Police.
PC Hutchings said that in his presence Bowers threatened to burst Ringrose's mouth and said the spade was his father's.
Mr Hoggett, for the defence said defendant belonged to a very respectable family and had never appeared in Court. He called the father and 2 brothers to bear out what he said.
The Bench however decided to convict and fined Bowers 10 shillings.

29th April - BETTING A LOSER.
Thomas Porritt of Brotton, a bookmaker, was charged under the Street Betting Act 1906.
Sgt Walker and PC Hutchings stated that on the "City and Suburban" day, Porritt was observed in Vaughan Street, North Skelton.
He was approached by several people who handed him betting slips. He made entries in a pocket book and evidently had a good day as out of 10 taken in bets only one person backed a winner.
Porritt said he was acting for a commission agent and did not make as much as the prosecutor made out.
As he had been convicted the previous year for a similar offence the Bench fined him 5.

Aged 68. "A chill, bronchitis, and heart failure were the three successive steps which in hours brought his all too short reign to an end."
He was succeeded by George V.

Whitby Gazette - A party of "Morris" dancers from Skelton visited Whitby on Saturday and went through the Sword Dance usually associated with the local Plough Stots on Twelfth Day.
They were collecting on behalf of a benevolent fund, though a day of national bereavement was scarcely an appropriate one for such a performance.
[See page 70 of Skelton stories about local sword dancing in the 1900s.]

13th May. MINE DEATH.
Longacres Mine. Thomas Marshall, a miner aged 39,was killed.
"He was engaged in barring down some stone from the face when another large stone suddenly burst a-way from between two backs, and falling on him inflicted injuries from which he died in a few hours."
Major Edward Hamilton of Rigwood was elected to this Council to represent Skelton North. He served until 1931.

James Robson and Walter Holden, both miners of North Skelton, were charged with being drunk and disorderly at North Skelton on the 4th.
PC Hutchings said defendants were drunk and fighting. He warned them off once, but they returned to it again.
Both men denied being drunk, but admitted having a few rounds and Holden contended that it was quite right to do so.
"What's the use of being an Englishman, if you are not allowed to fight ?", he queried, amidst laughter.
He was fined 1 and Robson ordered to pay the costs.

William Templeman, a horsedriver in the mines of North Skelton, was charged with stealing a spring rabbit trap, the property of Squire Wharton, at Kilton on the 8th.
F W Robinson, an underkeeper, saw Templeman near Merry's Whin, walking along the side of the fence in Mr Maughan's field.
He stopped and put down a trap on the grass, set it, covered it with grass and walked away.
Robinson went next morning and lay in wait near the trap. At about 6 o'clock Templeman came and took a rabbit out of the trap and then went towards Kilton.
Robinson went after him and when he was spotted, Templeman threw both the trap and rabbit away.
Templeman told the Police and the Court that he took the trap home and knowing that he had done wrong, took it back next day and put it near the place he had found it.
Sir Alfred Pease said if he ever appeared before them again, he hoped he would not tell them a far-fetched story like that.
Fined 10 shillings for pinching the trap and 9s 6d for trespassing in pursuit game.

Alfred Isaac Smallett, of Skelton, a watchmaker, was sent to prison for two months hard labour for stealing a gold watch, value 20, the property of F C Sowerby.
Smallett worked for Mr Sowerby and on the 17th went away. He tried to pawn the watch with a Middlesbrough pawnbroker, who, not being satisfied with his story, sent for the Police.
When handed over to Guisborough Police, Smallett admitted his guilt and said he wanted some money to go to Redcar races.

W Ford Milner, an under Woodman, formerly employed at Skelton, was charged with deserting his wife, Elizabeth Jane Milner and family, leaving them chargeable to the Guisborough Union.
Mr Henry Newson, the Workhouse relieving Officer, explained that there were five children and that they became chargeable on the 9th.
Milner said that he now worked on an estate at Wetherby and that he left his wife because she got into bad company.
The Bench sent him to prison for one month and adjourned for a month an application for a separation order made by his wife.
At the next hearing Elizabeth said her husband left her after accusing her of being unfaithful, which she denied.
Milner said he would not go back if he was given her weight in gold for doing so and was prepared to agree to an order. This was made for 6 shillings weekly, the wife to have custody of the children.

Walter Codling, a miner of North Skelton, was ordered to pay the arrears of 3 19s towards the maintenance of his mother, who is chargeable to the Guisborough Union.

On Monday night the fourth of a course of five Lectures on Horticulture at Skelton was given by Mr Alfred Gaut of the University of Leeds.
The first part was held in the Institute on the subject of the bottling of fruits.
After that they adjourned to the allotments near the Institute where practical hints on the cultivation of vegetable and cottage fruits were given.
The final lecture was given the following week in the grounds and gardens of Skelton Castle.

3rd August - OLD CHURCH FUND.
A Garden Fete and Bazaar was arranged by Mrs Wharton and held in the Castle Grounds.
The object was to provide funds for the preservation of our old Church and Churchyard.

W Hindle and Walter Holden, both miners of Brotton and North Skelton, respectively were charged with a breach of the Poaching Prevention Act.
PC Edmonson and PC Pickering both stated that they were in the back of Richard Street, North Skelton at about 3 a.m. on the 10th, when they saw the accused coming over some allotment gardens near the railway.
Holden was caught and had a bag containing 9 rabbits. Hindle bolted and was not captured, but the Constables swore that it was him.
Holden pleaded for another chance, saying that it was not murder. The Police would be better employed looking after murders, than catching fellows killing rabbits.
These rabbits destroyed his Brussels sprouts and small cabbages and somebody had to kill them. In some districts men were kept to kill rabbits and he did not see there was any harm in preventing them destroying garden produce.
Sir Alfred Pease said it was no ordinary case of poaching. Both men had been convicted over and over again and only been fined. It was a trade they pursued, taking all the risks.
They would each be fined 5 and costs or one months prison.
Holden said - "I will go down the line and have a rest."

Charles Cobbing, a bookmaker of North Skelton, was charged with street betting at North Skelton on the 23rd August.
Sgt Walker and PC Edmonson had him under observation and noticed him walking up and down the street, constantly going from the Bull's Head Hotel corner to a public convenience, accompanied by men.
He remained there a short time and each time he left he was putting a book in his pocket.
When apprehended he said - "We all have to be caught sometimes. Give me a chance."
He had in his possession the names of several horses running at the York meeting, several betting slips, a sporting paper, 12 1s 3d in money and several curious cards.
No one had been able to make out what the cards were for. Some were gummed together. It looked like some refinement of the three card trick.
Cobbing admitted having a few slips on him, but no more than a dozen. He had picked up the mysterious cards at Stockton racecourse and did not know what they had been used for.
Fined 5, including costs and papers to be confiscated.

The Loftus Co-operative Society have decided to erect Branch premises at North Skelton, where many of their members now live and trade at the Brotton Branch. Opened 18th November 1911.

September - The Postcard above was stamped at North Skelton at this time.
At the 1901 census Mary A Kime was living at 43 Wharton St, North Skelton and had a 4 year old son, William H, who must have been the lad the message on the Card records the Doctor visiting.
The addressee is Miss Kime at a Doctor's address near Keighley.
You would think Mary's daughter, also Mary A and aged 11 in 1901, was very likely "in service", some 80 miles away, there.

Harry J Stannard, a 31 year old miner of East Terrace, Skelton, was charged under the Larceny Act with trying to obtain the sum of 16s 6d from Charles Cobbing, a North Skelton bookmaker, by virtue of a forged instrument -
namely a letter falsely purporting to be a postal packet in course of transmission by post.
Mr Preston, prosecuting, said that on the 11th June a letter addressed to Stannard was posted at Skelton Post Office between 10 a.m and 1.15 p.m.
All letters posted during this time would bear the letter "B". At 3.40 p.m a letter addressed in coloured pencil was delivered by Robert Knaggs, the Skelton postman to Stannard's house.
At about 7 p.m that same day J Sanderson, a postman employed at North Skelton had about 30 letters to deliver.
In accordance he tied them securely in a bundle and put them inside his pouch and did not remove it until he got right into North Skelton.
After he had started his deliver Stannard accosted him and said - "Have you lost any letters, postman ?"
He produced a letter and Sanderson saw the address was "Mr Cobbing. in 13 Wharton Street, North Skelton in Cleveland, Yorkshire."
Knowing that Cobbing was a bookmaker and Stannard a betting man, he became suspicious and asked Stannard where he found it. On examining the envelope closely, the postman noticed the address was written in ink and underneath Cobbing's name he could make out "Stannard" written in pencil. Flinders won the 2 o'clock and Scotch Duke the 2.30 and as a result Stannard would have won 16s 6d had not Cobbing's suspicions been aroused.
Edward Nicholson, an assistant gamekeeper was called to confirm that he did not write the slip and had no interest in the bets made.
Stannard admitted that it was his hand-writing and that he got the information on the winning horses from the newspaper at 6 p.m. Prosecutor said he must have mistaken Duke's Sister for Scotch Duke in his hurry.
In reply to the charge he had said - "I am one of them that did it. I shall not mention the others. I shall take all the blame myself."
He was committed for trial at the next York Assizes, bail being allowed.

Card with Skelton postmark sent from 58 Harker St, Skelton Green in 1910.

16th September - MORE POACHING MINERS.
John R Lock and Joseph Thompson, both miners of Skelton, were each fined half-a-crown, 2s 6d and costs for having trespassed in a field in the occupation of Robert Young at Skelton on the 6th.

As a result of the examination held by the Joint Matriculation Board of the Norther Universities, the Board recommended the award of only 3 scholarships.
One of these was to Frank Wright Robinson, of 54 High St, Skelton, a scholar attending Guisborough Grammar School and tenable at the Liverpool or Manchester University.

23rd September - DON'T PUT YER MUCK IN OUR YARD.
Mary Ann Dobson, of Skelton, a married woman, was charged with assaulting Eliza Mary Scott, a neighbour at Skelton.
Eliza said that Mary threw some filth into her yard and she spoke to her about it, the latter struck her and put her on the ground. Ordered to pay the Court costs.

Elizabeth J Milner, a married woman of Skelton, applied to the Magistrates for a maintenance order against her husband W Ford Milner to be increased on the ground that another child had been born since the order was granted.
Milner said that he was a woodman employed at Wetherby and only earned 20 shillings, out of which he paid 12 shillings for his board and lodgings and 6 shillings under the present order, leaving him with 2 shillings for clothes and other expenses.
Dr Stainthorpe on the Bench said the order could not be increased, but could be if Milner's earnings increased.

23rd September - LEEKS ON THE RAILWAY.
Walter T Leeks, a North Skelton miner, was fined 7s 6d for trespassing on the Railway line at Merry Ghyll, near Kilton on the 1st.

29th October. London Gazette.
"A Separate Building, duly certified for religious worship, named WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, situated at Skelton, in the civil parish of Skelton, in the county of York, North Riding, in Guisborough registration district, was, on the 28th October, 1910, registered for solemnizing marriages therein, pursuant to 6th and 7th Wm. IV, c. 85."

Parliament had been dissolved on November 29th and at the General Election little change resulted. As in January of this year, the Conservatives had most votes but the Liberals has a majority of one seat. Herbert Asquith, Liberal, again formed a Government with Irish support and remained Prime Minister until resigning in 1916. Labour gained 2 more seats to reach 42.
Herbert Samuel, Liberal, won the local Cleveland seat and remained our MP until 1918.

21st December - FIDDLING COALMAN.
Parker Walker, a coalman of Skelton, was charged with embezzling the sum of 17s 8d, the money of Robert Dunning, coal dealer, by whom he was employed.
Mrs Sedman of Skelton Green handed him the money for coal that she had purchased and he did not account for this to Mr Dunning.
When apprehended by Sgt Walker he said - "I got the money and spent it. I intended to pay it back afterwards."
Ordered to pay 21 shillings or go to prison for one month.

During this year the Anglo Saxon cemetery at Hob Hill was excavated. [See page 2 for what was found.]

5 houses and a shop were built in Charlotte St, New Skelton.
10 houses were built for a Mrs Elliot in Boosbeck Rd.

Next Page - 1911.
Previous Page - 1909 Tradespeople.
Contents Page.