Skelton Fire Engine at Marske by Sea Church Fire.
|1902 - May. END OF THE BOER WAR.
75,000 lives had been lost, including 22,000 British Servicemen [15.000 from diseases].
The Traansval and Orange Free State were absorbed into the British Empire.
They were promised eventual self government, but much bitterness was left among the Boers, which was to resurface.
April - FIRE.
On Easter Sunday a fire broke out in the tower of St Marks Church at Marske by Sea. Skelton's horse drawn fire engine was called out along with others from nearby towns. Church goers who had been at prayer were shepherded out and valuables rescued before the fire was put out. The roof was damaged beyond repair and replaced with the battlement style we see today.
1st June - LOCALS CHEER THE PEACE.
Parish Magazine - Deep heartfelt thanks pervaded the empire at the news
that peace had been concluded by Lord Kitchener and the Boer Generals.
Skelton, however, did not hear of it till next morning's post brought in the letters and newspapers.
The place at once blossomed out with flags and the news soon spread to everyone.
Later in the day the Parish Church bells joyously rang out their peal and the Volunteer and other Bands paraded the different villages of the Parish.
Putting away the bitterness, which so often follows War, Boer and Briton seem likely to work together in brotherhood, as never before, for the welfare of the South African Dominion of the British Empire.
26th June - CORONATION OFF - CELEBRATION STILL ON.
Arrangements had long been made for the Coronation of Edward VII, but on the 24th it was announced that he was suffering
from perityphlitis and needed an operation. The Coronation was postponed to August 9th but local celebrations went ahead.
Parish Magazine - The King with his usual magnanimity requested that provincial rejoicings should be carried out.
At 2 o'clock the children living on Skelton Green assembled at the Miners Hospital and marched in procession down Green
Road preceded by the Skelton Volunteer Band, the Cyclists and the Skelton Company of the Church Lad's Brigade.
North Skelton Station, "Hollybush".
Opened 1st July 1902, after many years of campaigning.
In less than 30 years time, local bus services would start the process of its eventual closure.
To join those who were assembled on Skelton Cross Green, where all joined in singing one verse of the National Anthem,
which they did also at several points on the way as far as Yeoman Street.
The procession was a long and imposing one, the banners and sashes of the children making the scene bright and gay.
From Yeoman St the long line of children retraced their steps and marched into the Kennels Field, where the cyclists
paraded before the judges.
The aged and the young immediately afterwards partook of tea in the various rooms set apart for this purpose and Coronation medals were given to the children before they left the tea tables.
All adjourned to the field where the sports took place.
During the evening balloons were sent up frequently.
An additional attraction was the large bonfire, with fireworks etc on Flowston.
1st July - RAILWAY STATION OPENED AT LAST.
The Railway Station is rapidly approaching completion, but it is necessary to give public access to it.
At Monday night's meeting of the Skelton and Brotton Urban District Council, it was agreed that, provided that the footpath was put in good order and the two bridges raised two feet between North Skelton and the Station the Council would take it over.
Mr W H A Wharton J.P. offered to give the requisite land for the construction for a new road from the station to New Skelton, but the Surveyor reported that it would cost £800 to make the road, exclusive of fencing and on the recommendation of the Highways Committee it was resolved that the advantages were not equivalent to the cost, though it was agreed to specially thank Mr Wharton.
It was decided that Faughfield Lane, running from Skelton to the new station, [now Station Lane] should be put into good repair and taken over by the Council.
After many years of local lobbying, N Skelton railway station, Hollybush, was opened.
See an excellent article about it, by Colin Berwick of North Skelton here.
Parish Magazine - Standing as it does on two lines, the Saltburn and Scarborough Branch and the Saltburn and Guisborough Branch,
it gives an excellent service of trains, no less than twelve each way stopping to set down and take up passengers.
The buildings though plain in appearance, inexpensive and simple in construction, are well adapted to our present requirements.
The oil lamps are somewhat primitive and remind one of the dark ages, but they no doubt will give place to something more cheerful when our Urban Council has completed its plan with regard to Holly Bush Lane and the lighting thereof.
Perhaps it is premature to expect the North Eastern to give us free delivery of goods and parcels, as it does at Brotton.
1st August - CHURCH LADS CAMP.
Our Church Lad's Brigade detachment left Skelton to join the North Eastern Camp at Barnard Castle, for
a week under canvas.
6 Regiments, representing the dioceses of Durham, Newcastle, York, Ripon, Wakefield and Liverpool, the first two forming the Northern Battalion and the rest the Southern
Battalion, numbering some 100 Officers and 1,200 lads, were there mustered under the command of Lieut, Col Wharton, Ist
V P.W.O Yorks Regiment.
The following was the time table for the day. 5.30, the bugle summoned "get up"; 5.45 early coffee; 6.30, drill;
7.30 put beds out, fold blankets, scrape potatoes for dinner, tidy up etc; 8.30 breakfast; 10.30 Commanding Officers
Parade until dinner; afternoon lads were free for games, walks etc; 5 tea; free time again for concerts; 9.45 last post;
9.50, church bell called for 3 minutes prayers in each tent; 10, lights out.
In spite of the broken weather the lads seem to have fully enjoyed themselves.
9th August - 2 MORE BELLS - CORONATION GIFT.
Two new bells have been placed in the Parish Church Tower and will be rung
for the first time on Aug 9, the day fixed for the Coronation. One bears the inscription "Two treble bells given by W H A Wharton to complete the peal given by the late J T Wharton".
5th November - CLEVELAND BYE-ELECTION.
The Liberal Member of Parliament for this area, the Cleveland division of the North Riding, Mr Alfred Edward Pease resigned, pleading ill health.
He had held the seat since 1897 and possibly had grown tired of politics. He was a sporting type of the gentleman school and had written books about hunting in Cleveland. He lived for another 37 years and spent much of that in British East Africa hunting big game and leading safaris. He died in 1939 at Pinchinthorpe House, near Guisborough, N Yorks.
He was replaced as Liberal candidate by Herbert Samuel.
Herbert Samuel. MP.
Herbert Samuel campaigning in nearby Loftus.
The Labour MP, Keir Hardie made a speech at Marske in favour of a Labour candidate in Cleveland and the Miners Association held a meeting in Saltburn, but in the end no representative was put forward. This displeased many in the Independent Labour Party, one of their leaders calling Samuel a "plutocratic Jew", because he was an Oxford man, who had been left a lot of money by his banker father.
In the end it was a 2 horse race with Herbert Samuel gaining 5.834 votes to the Conservative, Geoffrey Drage's 3,798.
Samuel retained the Cleveland seat until 1918, serving later as Postmaster General and then Home Secretary.
In the following years he was High Commissioner to Palestine 1920/25 and involved in the creation of Israel, led an inquiry into the Mining Industry, leader of the Liberal Party, made a Viscount in 1937 and died at the age of 93 in 1963.